Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Frozen in Michigan

Posted By: jhalterman

Frozen in Michigan - 02/03/18 12:22 AM

Hello from Michigan. Dang it is cold up here right now.

We have a couple bikes, a 2003 Yamaha XT225 and a 2013 Honda CB500X.
We're struggling with the XT right now as it has had problems starting. Looking to this forum for help and considering conversion to EFI to make it more reliable.
Posted By: #brer15

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 02/03/18 02:21 AM

Welcome
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 02/03/18 04:04 AM

Here's a warm welcome to the site as a new USER. Enjoy and ride safely. You'll find tips on richening up the mixture to improve starts.

We rode a bit in the UP which was very sandy but fun.
Posted By: spooky

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 02/03/18 01:03 PM

Welcome. Stay safe, and enjoy life on 2 wheels.
Posted By: peejman

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 02/04/18 12:56 AM

Welcome.

And it's cold here too.
Posted By: rocmoc

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 02/04/18 03:34 AM

Today was 77. Next 9 days are suppose to be between 77 & 80. Birds are returning and fruit trees are blooming. (downside weeds are starting to come up) Has been a great winter in Arizona.

rocmoc n AZ
Posted By: #brer15

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 02/04/18 02:47 PM

^ Oh sure, just rub it in. grin
Posted By: jhalterman

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 02/04/18 07:18 PM

Thanks all. The snow is coming down pretty heavy right now. Summers here are pretty fabulous though.
Posted By: Fraser

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 04/25/18 08:46 PM

I found mine starts much easier if I shut the fuel off and run it out of fuel then when starting a day or two later turn on the fuel and starts a lot better than not running it out
Person I bought it from said it was a very hard starter when he let it set a day or two tis seemed to cure it
Posted By: peejman

Re: Frozen in Michigan - 04/26/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Fraser
I found mine starts much easier if I shut the fuel off and run it out of fuel then when starting a day or two later turn on the fuel and starts a lot better than not running it out
Person I bought it from said it was a very hard starter when he let it set a day or two tis seemed to cure it

This is a fairly common problem and the standard solution. No real need to let the bowl run dry, just close the petcock and let the bike run for a minute or two. Then open the valve right before starting. I do this routinely. The splash of fresh gas seems to make a huge difference in how easily it starts. Using 100% gas is also a significant factor.

The best explanation I have for why this happens is related to the "open" fuel system. The carb is vented to the atmosphere. When it sits for a long time, the more volatile constituents of the fuel evaporate off leaving behind a fuel mix that's difficult to ignite.
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group