Official XT225+250 Rider's Group Home Page

Hello from Scotland

Posted By: Alison556

Hello from Scotland - 05/28/17 04:23 PM

Hi all,

It's been a long, long time since I was on a bike and I always loved my trail bike. It's taken months, but at long last, I got my hands on a Serow. I think it's a 1992 Japanese import model but was registered in the UK in 1998.

It needs a little bit of TLC but is mechanically sound.

No doubt I'll be posting a lot every time I hit a problem lol
Posted By: Muniac

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/28/17 07:46 PM

Welcome to the site as a new USER. Enjoy and ride safely.

Feel free to post as required to get your bike up and running.
Posted By: alexd

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/28/17 08:35 PM

Welcome!

Alexd
Posted By: Reggie

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/28/17 09:20 PM

Hi Alison556,

welcome along for the ride and please just ask away.

Regards
Posted By: peejman

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/29/17 12:25 AM

Welcome!

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/29/17 12:36 PM

Thanks all.

Given how much Serows go for here in the UK, I'm pleased at getting this one for the price I did - though one of my friends thinks I'm insane for spending a thousand on "an old bike". He doesn't get it. lol

I'm guessing my winter project on it will be to get the frame powder coated - some kindly soul has painted it with what looks like silver Hammerite. Apart from that (and the spokes painted black), it's in good condition. Age related marks and the paintwork and decals are a bit aged looking, but no chips or rust.

I think getting parts for it in the UK wont be so easy. I've found two sites that do some parts.

My biggest dilemma just now is whether to put a km converter on it - to save having to do math to guess what speed I'm doing lol

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/29/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Alison556
Thanks all.

Given how much Serows go for here in the UK, I'm pleased at getting this one for the price I did - though one of my friends thinks I'm insane for spending a thousand on "an old bike". He doesn't get it. lol

I'm guessing my winter project on it will be to get the frame powder coated - some kindly soul has painted it with what looks like silver Hammerite. Apart from that (and the spokes painted black), it's in good condition. Age related marks and the paintwork and decals are a bit aged looking, but no chips or rust.

I think getting parts for it in the UK wont be so easy. I've found two sites that do some parts.

My biggest dilemma just now is whether to put a km converter on it - to save having to do math to guess what speed I'm doing lol

Hi Alison,

many of the DT125 speedo's are a straight swap, so that my be an option for you?

Also, a few years ago, there was a supplier that did an adapter that just screwed into the speedo drive, which resulted in the speedo display reading in MPH but I haven't seen them for ages.

In the UK, Fowlers are usually pretty good, then there's the lads at Serowparts, Wemoto now offer a few consumable items for Serow's and if nothing else there's always mail order from Japan (very expensive).

Regards

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/29/17 03:00 PM

Ahh thanks. Wemoto do have the adapter. I need to find the right model to search for parts at Fowlers.

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/29/17 03:50 PM

Hi Alison,

post a photo of your bike and we'll soon tell you which version it is. The best way to attach an image is to use one of the free services like Photobucket.

Regards

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/29/17 07:06 PM

Here it is

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/30/17 04:50 AM

Hi Alison,

what you have there is a 1991 model, Japan import XT225 Serow.

Regards

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/30/17 09:04 AM

Ahh thank you. I thought it was. Does it look OK from the pics? I've not been out on it much - it's either been pouring with rain or too hot lol

Re: Hello from Scotland - 05/30/17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Alison556
Ahh thank you. I thought it was. Does it look OK from the pics? I've not been out on it much - it's either been pouring with rain or too hot lol

Hi Alison,

yeah looks pretty much standard, apart from the rear rack.

Always worth taking care in checking the rear brake, as you need to replace the whole hub when there's excess wear, so it's better to check early and then use softer pads. The rims can suffer from internal corrosion, so look for any signs of excess rusting at the base of the spokes. Nice to see she still has the original tool box and exhaust.

Enjoy your bonding with your new bike.

Regards
© 2024 XT225+250 Rider's Group