Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Bike Problems Jump to new posts
Re: I'm stuck. XT Engine Bogging Trickeur 3 hours ago
And when the weather is hot, you don’t need the choke to start the bike.
On mine, with the choke, it stalls after a few seconds.
9 213 Read More
Open Discussions - Sound Off & Hold Forth Jump to new posts
Re: Reggie ramblings Muniac Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Reggie - Thanks for checking in and glad you're healthy, out and about. 2020 has been the most tumultuous year I've ever seen in my lifetime. Hits the whole damn world. As for photos, IMGUR is free and will provide a clean URL. You can use them for your excellent photos. All well on this end, albeit a bit older now. Please say hi to Allan (Doc) for me. Hope he's doing well and you guys can get some enjoyable times going as a team. We could all use some of that. You're always welcome here whenever and where ever schedules, resources and time allows. I also wish England the very best moving through this virus.

peejman - That's a kind offer to help out with Reggie's photos. Thanks. I could too but it's just a duplicate effort at this point.
2 18 Read More
Re: Reggie is Alive and Well!.. peejman Yesterday at 07:45 PM
'bout dang time. smile

Hi Reg, where ya been?
4 68 Read More
I'd Like to Buy Jump to new posts
Headlight Cover Wallfacer Design Yesterday at 07:34 PM
My bike is missing its headlight cover; if you have one lying around I could use one for a reasonable price.
Otherwise I'll make one out of fiberglass, any requests for a design?
0 3 Read More
Nuts, Bolts, Wrenching and Scratched Knuckles Jump to new posts
Re: Torque values XT225 peejman 08/11/20 01:36 PM
I've also got the Yamaha manual, definitely worth the price. If they don't list a 2002 model, 96-07 are all basically the same.

This shows it for $89 from Yamaha, p/n LIT-11616-XT-26...
https://www.yamahapubs.com/home/search?category_id=3&year=2002&family_name=XT225

The Clymer or Haynes manuals are also fine for most normal stuff.
3 56 Read More
New Member/Owner Welcome Area Jump to new posts
Re: 2020 xt250 peejman 08/10/20 11:25 AM
Welcome!
6 81 Read More
Re: Tricker allowed? Trickeur 08/08/20 08:08 PM
Thanks.
Not sure it’s the right place for that.
20 272 Read More
Re: 06 Xt225 nobade 08/08/20 12:35 PM
The stock suspension is very lightly sprung and has way too much high speed compression damping, making it hard to hang on to in the rocks but bottoms easily on big hits. The Cogent setup is expensive for sure but completely transforms the bike. It cost me about the same as I paid for the whole XT, and I am so glad I bought it since it feels like a real dirt bike now. No way I'd go back to stock. Make sure you buy the right spring sets for your weight.
6 91 Read More
Re: Relacing XT225 Rim & Tires for Stock nobade 08/08/20 12:28 PM
Rebuilding wheels is easy if you've done bicycle wheels. If not, take your time and look closely at how it's put together. There are four different types of spokes in the rear wheel, make sure you group them by types and they all get in the right place. Try to have even tension and plenty tight but not too much. Lube the nipples so they will torque up smoothly. Use a good spoke wrench so you don't round off the nipples. I used a countersink to bevel the holes in the hub a bit so the spokes aren't going across a sharp edge, hoping that will help them to last longer.

As for tires I'm running a Shinko 244, 4.10X18 on the back and a Dunlop 606 on the front. I had them sitting around and they fit, so I used them. They both seem to work well for the XT and the slightly bigger than stock front has made the speedo spot on.
1 47 Read More
Nuts, Bolts, Wrenching and Scratched Knuckles Jump to new posts
Head-race bearings ritchie95 08/08/20 08:59 AM
The restoration of the 225 Serow has started.
I know the bottom head-race bearing is available 30*55*17 KOYO 32006J, but has anyone found a decent replacement top tapered roller 25*43*11, not chinese ?
0 24 Read More
Re: '97 Bronco BroncoTom 08/04/20 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by skypupbob
Everything is Serow except tank, fenders and side covers, and they are cool retro looking like the scramblers from the 70's.
I really like the look. You've got a cool bike Tom.

Thanks for confirming, that will make ordering any parts easier. Best to know rather than ordering and hoping for the best.
8 124 Read More
Connectivity - PCs, Browsers & OS Help Jump to new posts
Re: Using Clonezilla to Backup your Linux HD.. Muniac 08/04/20 06:54 PM
I've used CloneZilla over the years with my USB drives. It reliably makes image backups and successfully restores your HD. The interface isn't exactly user friendly but the program works. One challenge I found is getting the correct version that boots and runs on your machine. Perhaps the linked instructions above demystifies using it.
1 26 Read More
Re: Greetings from Texas JPouchet 08/04/20 06:05 PM
Nice bike.You are in a great area for trail riding once you get a few miles outside of Houston. I've made the drive from Houston to Austin many times. Truck/car but would like to have the time to hit the FMs and serious back roads to see the countryside.

Do check out some other tires if you plan to get into some serious dirt and especially if it could get muddy.

Lot's of advice on tires on this site. I'm a fan of some of the Kenda big-block style knobby tires and just switched over to Continental Twinduro TKC80s. Love their relative smoothness on the road, for knobbies anyway, and great dirt riding capabilities.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My recent upgrade to the rear. Front tire still a Kenda as plenty of rubber left on the trie.

Enjoy

JP
7 147 Read More
Ride Spaces & Places Jump to new posts
'Finke, There and Back..' Az4x4 08/03/20 11:54 PM

If you're a fan of desert racing, and most of us are, don't miss 'Finke, There and Back' if you have a chance.

The film chronicles Australia's premier desert race, a lot like the Baja California desert race in Mexico. The race tests 600 plus riders from all across the island continent and around the world along with their bikes to the limit and beyond - not to mention high dollar racing buggies and crews that compete in their own classes as well.

Enjoy!..
0 33 Read More
Re: 2019 Yamaha WR250R Muniac 08/01/20 04:09 PM
Welcome to the site as a new USER. Good luck on finding a fender.
5 118 Read More
Re: Carb Drain Plug Question JerryH 08/01/20 01:50 PM
I'm on the fence about this one. Yes turning the petcock off will prevent the float bowl from overflowing if the float needle valve is leaking, IF the petcock itself is not leaking. Both the petcock and the float needle valve will eventually wear out. Both are easy to replace, though the petcock costs a lot more. Ethanol gas will shorten the life of both, since they both use rubber seals and ethanol tends to melt rubber. I've had over 50 different bikes over the past several decades, sometimes I shut the petcock off, sometimes I don't. I've had both the petcocks and the float needle valves leak. The one thing I hate are vacuum petcocks, which the XT225 fortunately does not have. They prevent you from draining the tank without a vacuum source. In your case it sounds like the float valve is leaking. I'd replace it, then it will probably be good for another 10 years or more, whether you leave the petcock on or off. Since ethanol gas came along, I've had to change my way of doing things. I never leave ethanol gas in the tank or carb for more than 2-3 weeks. If I don't burn it up, I drain it out into a gas can, then put it in a car, and put fresh gas in the bike. It can be a lot of work when you have 6 bikes, but I got tired of cleaning fuel tanks and carburetors.
6 224 Read More
Re: 2020 XT 250 Speed Wobble JerryH 08/01/20 01:33 PM
There shouldn't be any issues with a brand new bike. A new bike design has been extensively tested by the manufacturer before being sold, so it is not a design problem. It is not the tire, unless the tire is defective or under inflated. If you changed the stock tire that is likely the cause. There are quite a few things that can cause a wobble. Front suspension problems, unbalanced front tire, loose steering head bearings. Did it do that from new or did it start later? If it has been dropped something is probably out of alignment.
7 122 Read More
Re: Hi all! JerryH 08/01/20 01:21 PM
Welcome. Thank you for your service. i tried to join the Air Force in 1977. They turned me down because of scoliosis (curvature of the spine) which I didn't even know I had. I got a job with my local city fleet services department, and wouldn't you know it, 2 years later I had to have back surgery to remove a broken disc. I started racing MX at 16 on a trashed Honda CR250M. It required constant repairs and top end rebuilds to keep it going. I also got badly banged up a few times. 2 years later after I got a real job I had to give it up. The boss reminded me that I was not being paid to show up on crutches. I have found my XT225 to be about the perfect off road bike for me, though I wish the seat was a little lower. I am now 61, have fairly severe arthritis and knee problems. I can still ride it just fine, but getting on and off is not easy.
5 169 Read More
Re: Great to finally join JerryH 08/01/20 01:06 PM
Welcome. I bought a 1994 model during the great recession of 2008 with 1400 miles on it. It now has over 30,000 mostly off road/dirt road miles on it. These bikes are tough. They are also super easy to ride, unlike some of the more hardcore bikes. Be careful with those tires. I tried some Dunlop D606 tires, which are DOT legal, but look like something for MX. I didn't keep them very long. Even though they were street legal, they were downright scary on pavement. Every time I turned a corner it felt like I was riding through grease. I am basically a trail rider, and don't need a tire that aggressive. I'd say those were like 90% dirt/10% street. 50/50 tires work best for me.
5 145 Read More
Re: New member Pasadena CA JerryH 08/01/20 12:52 PM
Welcome. The San Gabriel Mountains are a beautiful place to ride.
5 157 Read More
Re: returning rider JerryH 08/01/20 12:34 PM
Welcome. As far as I know, the seats were the same from 1992-2007, other than color. I had mine redone by an upholstery shop, new foam and a black marine grade vinyl cover. I thought about the Seat Concepts kit, but I totally suck at upholstery, and most likely would not be able to install it. The shop did an excellent job and the vinyl they used is a lot tougher than stock. I actually tore the stock seat sliding my boot over it getting on and off. An inch higher and it would be impossible for me to get on it. I believe 99% of the parts from 1992-2007 are the same. Later models cam with a dual throttle cable, so the carburetor and throttle are slightly different. I prefer a single cable, and the dual cable models can easily be converted to single cable. But if you want dual cables, you will need a dual cable carb and throttle. Somewhere along the line they eliminated the drain plugs on the front forks. But the forks themselves are interchangeable. I use cheapcycleparts.com for replacement parts, although there are a lot of online parts places which are pretty much the same. https://procycle.us/model/yamaha/xt225?sort_by=field_sort_weight_value&page=1 has a ton of aftermarket parts for the XT225.
10 231 Read More
Re: Wiring diagram JerryH 08/01/20 12:18 PM
It seems there are a whole lot of different versions of the XT225. In the U.S. it was sold from 1992-2007, and except for colors, a switch from single cable to dual cable throttle, and the elimination of the drain plugs for the front forks, it has pretty much been the same bike. It has always had electric start. Mine also has a kick starter, but it did not come that way. I installed the kick starter from the TTR-225 on it.
4 91 Read More
Re: Solzhenitsyn said it best.. Muniac 07/31/20 08:43 PM
I'll throw my hat into the ring and agree this election is very important. Actually all of them are and that's part of the reasons this one is so important. Pantywaist governors and mayors de-funding police and allowing riots, violence and destruction to run rampant is the most ludicrous situation I've seen in my lifetime. Then they want to pass the cleanup bill to the federal government. All of this designed to disrupt the economy, run interference and hopefully remove a duly elected President. Our voting system is sacred to running a free democracy and its mechanisms are clearly laid out in the constitution. This is how we're supposed to assign and transfer power to those we feel best represent our interests. Now if the losing party doesn't like who America elected (or who the President appointed), they try to subvert the electoral process. Or attack duly appointed officials. Which basically gives the middle finger to the winning voting block or those with the power to enact appointments. Very slippery slope on this one so be careful. America affords us all a lot of freedom to include burning the flag and destroying government property. And engage in cancel culture by destroying symbols of America's history. Anyone seeing any problems with this? With freedom comes the responsibility to exercise it with wisdom, respect and sustainability. Instead I see ignorance, selfishness, destruction and greed. None of which will put American on the path to survival. If anyone thinks just because the letters USA names our country that we can't become another Venezuela, think again. It's prudent for all Americans to avoid this outcome or something resembling it.

Regarding discontentment with circumstances, one has three options. Adapt to things you can't change, remove yourself or engage in constructive behavior that leads to changing what you don't like. Our constitution provides for change and at the same time includes guard rails to avoid concerns the founding Fathers had. Such as foreign powers taking over, dictatorships and voting monopolies to name a few. The electoral college has deliberately been made difficult to change (legally). But voter fraud and mail in ballots are ways to game the system. As mentioned, it's imperative we maintain an honest and accurate voting system. People here illegally shouldn't be voting. And leave the electoral college system in place. This to avoid, CA, IL and NY from determining the outcome of our Presidential elections. I'd suggest to people that don't like living in America and want to use violence to facility change to please just leave and find a better life somewhere else. We don't need or want you. Peaceful demonstrations/protests are protected under our first amendment.

We've voting with many mail in ballots. They are either sent to the ballot processing center or dropped off in their metal box. Votes are counted with Republican, Democrat and Independent oversight. Signatures are carefully checked for accuracy and authenticity. Counts are also double checked by all parties. This to avoid dead people from voting. Pets from voting. Illegals from voting. People who don't exist from voting. And stacking of ballots. Our voting system is very accurate and honest. This is how our county handles things.

If our county is going to function as a democracy, getting accurate information to the public is essential to that process. Our educational system plays a BIG part in what's going on today or what shouldn't be going on. History being an important course of study if its taught with fair and balanced dissemination of historical facts. It shapes a student's perception of reality relative to past events and can provide important perspectives on life beyond just "me". A diet of government overreach and pop culture doesn't seem to produce functioning adults. Schools and institutions lying by omission is nothing short of complete abuse of the classroom. Using the classroom for political gains and brainwashing should be criminal. Preventing two or more opposing views disables constructive debate. And ultimately prevents the best solutions from coming forward. It's been said that those not connected with history are doomed to repeat it. Personally I hated history in grade school but as I've matured I understand its importance. My generation saluted the flag each morning in school. Pledged its allegiance and learned to respect what it stands for. Now we're concerned that this tradition might offend another culture. Embracing what I'd term complete "tincture of BS" will produce nothing of value moving forward.

Back in my day news came from more credible sources most of which embraced responsible journalism. TV news, newspapers and magazines to name a few. The National Enquirer would have been an exception. Journalism is gone now. We learned the Dewey decimal system and how to use the microfiche machine in the library. Also consulted the Encyclopedia Britannica and National Geographic magazines for information. That's how we obtained facts, figures and learned about our world. Most of these have been supplanted by the internet, blogs and social media. News is now commentary, propaganda and entertainment containing little facts. Times have understandably changed since then. The message is pick your sources carefully and find truth somewhere between the extremes. Hopefully.

The internet is both heaven and hell. I use it extensively for researching technical problems, news, shopping and keeping software up to date. It's allowed small venues to get content out to the world. This blog is an example of that. The hellish part is large power bases like Facebook, Google and Twitter can control the thoughts and lives of large groups of people. As for election interference, social media has done more damage than anything Russia could ever hope for. Social media power centers can editorialize and/or ban content by just clicking on a filtering algorithm icon. Allowing them to suppress views and ideas they feel aren't appropriate. Freedom of speech gone out the window. Much of this editorializing can be tied back to a political agenda and bias. And a vary large segment of internet advertising revenue is controlled by a small minority of CEOs. Mainstream news has become a joke with little connection to journalistic excellence. And a gullible population is eager to consume its messaging, products and believe it is reality. If you don't login, you're uninformed and if you do login you're misinformed. It leaves the reader and consumer with a spinning head. What's to be done?

Unions:

Unions that protect the bad actors or incompetent employees need to rethink who and what they protect. And the damages done for overlooking dangerous behavior. Police don't need to be de-funded but engage in sensible reform of their unions. This would go a long way towards improving things. It also applies to the NEA and teachers unions.

The NEA needs to return to political neutrality and support non partisan education. Years ago the PTA was a feedback mechanism and also a watchdog agency. Haven't a clue what happened with that. Charter schools could introduce competition and offer parents a choice. And deflate some of the nonsense going on in our public schools. It would also allow teachers to educate outside the teachers union dogma. Some parents I've spoken with are so disgusted with public schools they home school their kids. With half their property taxes still going to fund a dysfunctional educational system. I've heard stories of 2nd and 3rd grade teachers telling their classes the President is an evil man. WTF! Classes on nutrition, gun safety and money management could be offered but aren't. Socials studies shouldn't focus on stenciling today's values and morals (or the lack of them) on events now 100 or 200 years old. And punishing the country at large for historical injustices. History is important so teach the complete story not just what is politically convenient. Yes America, like all countries, has a jaded past but it's also done many noble things. Using the classroom as a brainwashing device should be met with the harshest of penalties. My fondest hope is parents (if they exist) can help their kids get a better grasp on reality.

Law Enforcement:

A civilized society needs rules, laws, guardrails and an enforcement mechanism. I can't condone the willful destruction of property for any reason. Kids (or anyone) getting shot as a result of gang violence or rioting is inexcusable. We now have Operation Legend. Those engaging in destruction need to be arrested. Especially government property which was built with taxpayer dollars and/or donations. Pulling down statues of historic figures doesn't and won't change history. The cancel culture movement is completely bankrupt in this regard. If you want to add a plaque with additional factual information, I'd be fine with that to improve the educational value for anyone viewing such artwork. We as taxpayers pay police to protect us, our property and keep us safe. We need this agency. Next time you're in trouble try calling someone from BLM or Antifa and see what happens.

Summary:

This is a complex matter with no easy solutions. I can say 2020 has been the most tumultuous year I've ever seen in my lifetime. Placing America at a tipping point. Education and awareness are our most effective tools righting the ship and getting back on course. My read is America is still mostly a conservative country and usually votes with its wallet. Socialism, its spinoffs and rebranding it to appear as something else have never been popular in America. I don't think they are popular now. My prediction is you'll see this mentality (common sense) emerge come Nov 3rd. And more bickering, infighting and obstruction to continue. Which is sad when there's work to be done. Speaking of which it is of paramount importance we get our unemployment numbers back down. As for the BIG 19, nature is going to win this one. Our immune system is our only defense against viral infections. It's called herd immunity with the usual fallout and fatalities. Masks, distancing and hygiene can perhaps slow the spread so hospitals can care for the sick. I'm not holding my breath for a vaccine either. It won't mean much if the virus mutates which it can do rather quickly. I hope I'm wrong. Therapeutics offer more realistic treatments I think. As for Americans, we are known as a nation of fat pigs. All those unnecessary underlying health conditions make viral infections more serious. When I see the majority of school age kids obese at some level I'd say this is the real epidemic. What ever happened to the President's Council on Physical Fitness? Instead the food industry fattens you up on the way in and BIG pharma sells you pills on the way out. Both laughing all the way to the bank. Wake up America if you want to see tomorrow as a brighter day.

Styx on Green New Deal
2 97 Read More
Riding, Experiences, Challenges & Lessons Learned Jump to new posts
Re: Riding Saddleback Peak peejman 07/31/20 04:04 PM
Looks like a good time. Been in the 90's with thunderstorms every afternoon here... which is normal for summer, unfortunately.
1 37 Read More
Accessories & Innovations Jump to new posts
Re: DMO Specialties JerryH 07/30/20 02:59 PM
I now wear thick sole leather work boots for riding. They also have non slip soles. I needed to raise the shift lever a little. I moved it one spline on the shift shaft. If you use the turnbuckle linkage to adjust the shift lever, it changes the distance between the lever pivot point and the shift shaft, which can cause shifting problems. The angles between the end of the rod, the vertical part that attaches to the shift shaft, and the vertical part of the shift lever should be exactly 90 degrees. Lengthening or shortening the rod will change that angle.
8 226 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,045
alexd 5,915
Moto Psycho 4,684
Az4x4 4,577
peejman 3,493
kris 2,366
Paul49 1,873
Doc250 1,643
JerryH 1,582
Forum Statistics