Search

GREAT RIDES & STAYS!
Fab Ads
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
New Member/Owner Welcome Area Jump to new posts
Re: Gracias for accepting me into the Group Az4x4 Yesterday at 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhisperingStream
...I was drawn to the XT225 for its weight and over all great reports of durability/dependability. I dream of using my bike for explorations and shuttle craft responsibilities when on journeys in my 1988 Toyota Sunrader motor home. The bike will be a craft I can take on adventures away from the Mother Ship Sunrader when I have found an ideal camp.

- I acquired an 07 xt225 with 2100 miles on the odometer. Though low in miles, I suspect it has been somewhat neglected. However it shows no signs of abuse (frame, forks, swing arms —all true).....

Welcome to the site. You'll find the XT225 an ideal bike to take with you on your adventuring 'out and abouts' with your Toyota Sunrader. Park the Toyota, set up your camp site, then explore to your heart's content on your XT!

Following up on what FlyinHawaiian said, I'm also a huge fan of Toyotas, having owned six Toyota 4x4 pickups, mostly Tacomas, over the years and still driving the '03 Double Cab SR5 4x4 Tacoma I bought more than 12 years ago. It just turned 150k miles. Other than regular manitainance and common service items it runs as well as it did the day I bought it.

The Sunrader motor home wasn't one of Toyota's 'best sellers' by any means, and the extremely rare 4x4 version had rear axel and suspension design issues right out of the box - something that ended up causing all kinds of problems for serious overlanders, so much so that Toyota finally pulled out of the small motorhome market all together.

Neverhteless, properly set up, with a clear eyed view of what needs to be done to turn the 4x4 Sunrader into a highly capable and equally reliable overland explorer, a few of these machines have far exceeded the OOTB capabilities (and limitations) they originally came with.

No idea whether you're driving the more reliable and less problematic 2WD Sunrader, or if by chance you have a 4x4 Sunrader. Either way, driven within their capabilities and properly set up and cared for these rare beauties still turn heads amongst those who know! ..Plus the XT225 in small trailer or strapped to a 'come along' cycle rack on the rear of the coach is the perfect addition!

Enjoy the site, be safe always, and keep us posted as the adventure continues!..
4 47 Read More
Re: Gracias for accepting me into the Group flyinhawaiian968 08/08/22 03:45 PM
Welcome aboard! Sunrader!?!??!! Awesome! Always wanted one, love my Toyotas and would love to add that to the collection!
4 47 Read More
Re: Gracias for accepting me into the Group peejman 08/08/22 11:30 AM
Welcome!
4 47 Read More
Re: Gracias for accepting me into the Group Muniac 08/07/22 11:24 PM
Welcome to the site as a new USER. Enjoy and ride safely. Thanks for the kind words about the community. Feel free to post over in Bike Problems as required. Great Intro so post on!
4 47 Read More
Gracias for accepting me into the Group WhisperingStream 08/07/22 09:52 PM
Hello Team!
I have enjoyed reading the posts here and am excited to be a member now. So, thanks for having me over! Here’s my story:

- I live in Southern Oregon, in the Rogue Valley. I am interested in riding the bike mostly on dirt roads and trails but not fast and furiously. Just exploring. Using it as a tool to get me further into areas, potentially with backpacking or Packrafting gear on the rear rack and slung onto the frame (Ive decided to go with a version of the Green Chili Adventure Gear soft rack system. - actually using something called a “Kombat Tactical Battle Yolk” and the GCAG strapping system.

- I was drawn to the XT225 for its weight and over all great reports of durability/dependability. I dream of using my bike for explorations and shuttle craft responsibilities when on journeys in my 1988 Toyota Sunrader motor home. The bike will be a craft I can take on adventures away from the Mother Ship Sunrader when I have found an ideal camp.

- I acquired an 07 xt225 with 2100 miles on the odometer. Though low in miles, I suspect it has been somewhat neglected. However it shows no signs of abuse (frame, forks, swing arms —all true).

- Things I have noticed about the bike: (1) the oil drain plug was stripped out so I replaced it when I did my initial oil change which revealed no frightening metal chunks nor really any dirt or micro pollutions - purdy clean in there. (2) gas comes out of the carburetor onto the ground when the petcock is set to an “on” position. If I turn it to “off” the carb does not leak. Its a CA bike so it has the charcoal overflow filter thing attached but the fuel leak is out of a separate tube that is directed onto the ground - does not go through the charcoal filter system. So, I am planning to open up the carb and look for sticking floats and general filth in the carb. (3) There is rust in the tank - only down in the lower aft corners of the tank, but there seem to be largish red flakes of rust that have gathered in those low spots. I have a plastic Clarke 4 gallon tank I plan to replace it with. I have a new petcock on order from my local Yamaha Dealership. THere is an inline fuel filter between the tank and the carb I noticed. (4) the front fork seals leak small amounts of oil. I am planning to replace the fork seals but may have a local shop do it as it seems over my head. (Not sure. Maybe I can figure that out). (5) there is no horn - nor bracket for the horn. I ordered a “Denali Soundbomb Mini” which came with its own bracket. I plan to wire this new horn into the existing and present horn wiring harness. (6) When the bike is off, in gear, and the clutch lever pulled into the handlebar, the bike does not roll smoothly and freely. Its as if the clutch is still holding and the wheel does not run free - not like its in neutral which I assume it should. When the bike is running, in gear, and the clutch lever is pulled into the bar, the bike rolls freely. There is no “creep” when the clutch is pulled in to the bar. Not sure if this is indicative of some kind of clutch problem.

- no knowing the history, I am piecing together a picture of a lightly neglected bike (stripped drain-plug, rusty tank). The clutch situation is concerning to me and not sure how common it is to have a tired clutch after only 2100 miles.

Again, thank you for having me over to the forum. There are clearly many knowledgeable people here and I enjoy the spirit of the conversations I have been poking around in.

Gratefully,

Whispering Stream.

PS I have the owner’s manual from Yamaha and have just ordered the Shop Manual from them as well. It should be here in the next few days.
4 47 Read More
Re: xt225 Houston, TX area Az4x4 08/05/22 07:23 PM

Welcome to the site. Found this about the XT225 engine swap into a TW200 on the TW200 site. Lots of links and good information. If such a swap is on your agenda, the best of luck as you proceed and check it out HERE!..
5 65 Read More
Re: xt225 Houston, TX area peejman 08/05/22 01:14 PM
Welcome and good luck with the engine swap.
5 65 Read More
Re: xt225 Houston, TX area Jjona5 08/05/22 02:17 AM
IIt'll def have more power than my 200cc engine and will add one more gear.

Thanks for the welcome!
5 65 Read More
Re: xt225 Houston, TX area onceona50 08/04/22 10:00 PM
Welcome!
5 65 Read More
Re: xt225 Houston, TX area Muniac 08/04/22 08:35 PM
Welcome to the site as a new USER. Enjoy and ride safely. I hope you will find the parts and answers to your project.

As for the XT225 engine, it's an old school 4 stroke that has stood the test of time. It performed well for us over the 15 years we did trail riding and exploring. I give it very high marks on durability and reliability. If 18 HP is enough power it will be a good choice.
5 65 Read More
I Am Selling Jump to new posts
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. Paul49 08/04/22 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Az4x4

Hey, Paul. I'll be 83 on the 13th of this month, 10 days from now. At 73 I was no where near ready to hang up my riding spurs. Ten years later and I admit I'm there, and not just because Marci says it's the smart thing to do! ..Be safe out there my friend. Want to read about you riding for a long time to come - at least 'till you decide it's time to step off the bike for good!..

Wow, that's brill, hope I can manage similar, another 10 years riding would be great. If only I could fit grease nipples to my knees & hips, the rest of me feels no too bad.
20 323 Read More
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. Az4x4 08/04/22 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Deserteagle56
..Just so the group knows, I sold my last XT yesterday. At my age it was time, and Marci, bless her heart, is happy to see me step away from even the limited amount of riding I occasionally did.

I'll stay abreast of what's going on with the group and in touch with the friends I've made here, but my XT225 riding years are behind me at last. They've been good years, lots of fun, absolutely enjoyable. But I won't miss much in the way of getting out and about here on the mountain.

With the vehicles I have to explore in and the health and strength we continue to enjoy there's literally nothing out of bounds. Marci and I will hopefully savor life here in the high country with family and friends for a long time to come!..

Geez, George, this hit me where it hurts.

Why? Because I've been considering doing the exact same thing lately. Put hardly any miles on the XT225 in the past two years. Just getting too clumsy in my old age, and I have to go out alone because there's no one I know who trail rides on two wheels any more. Recuperating from eye surgery right now. So it may be time to let someone else enjoy this bike...before I really hurt myself on it. Just hate to let it go - so many great rides, so many great memories..

Those who've ridden for a long time, who finally realize it's time to step away from the bike and quit pushing our luck because we don't 'bounce back' from injurys like we once did, sometimes hang onto our bikes longer than we should because of the "great rides" and "great memories" associated with our bikes that are ours.

It takes a while to realize that the memories we have aren't dependent on continuing to own and ride our bikes. These memories stand alone as highlights as we look back along the paths our lives have taken, and freeing ourselves when the time is right from the bike we've long enjoyed doesn't diminish the memories we have or the friendships we've made in the least.

Scott and Jeannie quit riding and sold their bikes when they felt the time was right for them, and that's what we'll each do if we're smart about it. It's certainly the right time for me. I want to spend as many good years as possible with Marci, and 'pushing my luck' any further than I've already pushed it with my XT just doesn't factor in any longer..

The best to you, DE, with your eye surgery, and blessings to you and your wife as time goes by.
20 323 Read More
I'd Like to Buy Jump to new posts
wtb Houston area complete xt225 or ttr225 engine Jjona5 08/04/22 01:16 AM
Hoping to build an engine on the bench so I'd love to pick a complete engine up.
0 17 Read More
xt225 Houston, TX area Jjona5 08/04/22 01:14 AM
So I have a TW200, 82 r100, and a big ruckus. I have owned lots of bikes but the tw200 really grew on me and I'm looking to do some mods and one of those mods involves the xt225 engine. I was hoping to gather some performance tips from the people that ride xt225 bikes and maybe pickup some bits from the classifieds. Hoping to learn a lot from you guys but at first I plan on just reading through the exiting threads.
5 65 Read More
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. Az4x4 08/03/22 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Paul49
..Wow, scary times, how long can we carry on enjoying the biking life. Dunno how old you boys are, I'm 73 now, I have to climb on via the left peg 'cos me joints are a tad jiggered now. I've ridden 2,600 miles on the Serow this year up to now & over 3,000 miles on my Triumphs, likely hit 9 or 10k total bike miles before year is up. My average is nearer 7.5k miles...

Hey, Paul. I'll be 83 on the 13th of this month, 10 days from now. At 73 I was no where near ready to hang up my riding spurs. Ten years later and I admit I'm there, and not just because Marci says it's the smart thing to do! ..Be safe out there my friend. Want to read about you riding for a long time to come - at least 'till you decide it's time to step off the bike for good!..
20 323 Read More
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. Paul49 08/03/22 06:36 PM
Wow, scary times, how long can we carry on enjoying the biking life. Dunno how old you boys are, I'm 73 now, I have to climb on via the left peg 'cos me joints are a tad jiggered now. I've ridden 2,600 miles on the Serow this year up to now & over 3,000 miles on my Triumphs, likely hit 9 or 10k total bike miles before year is up. My average is nearer 7.5k miles. Think I've had a fresh burst of enthusiasm knowing the end is nigh. Gone on 3 bike/camping rallies this year & got another this coming w/e. Not sure what I'd do when I can no longer do it. I used to do a lot of hiking, but a busted knee & dodgy hips don't care much for that, I'm ok for 7 or 8 miles but nothing like in the past. Take care all.
20 323 Read More
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. Muniac 08/03/22 02:43 PM
We bailed out a couple of years ago. It was time and the responsible thing to do. Lowered risk tolerance and worries about injuries were two reasons. Crowds that are rude and unsafe on our once quiet trails were other reasons. When you go for a ride and worry about bad stuff it takes the fun/enjoyment out of the experience. Time to move on and give the bikes another home. Not the longest stretch but we rode for 15 years in 19 different states and explored everything we wanted to. This from 2003 to 2018 when the trails were quiet enjoyable outdoor places to be. We also maintained a good safety record with no serious injuries. The 2003 XT225s we rode took us in and got us out with exceptional reliability. They never broke down. It's hard to let go sometimes but discretion should be the better part of valor.

Deserteagle56 - I hope your recovery from eye surgery goes quickly without problems and provides expected improvements. You certainly don't want to be bouncing around on a bike.
20 323 Read More
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. Deserteagle56 08/02/22 04:34 PM
Just so the group knows, I sold my last XT yesterday. At my age it was time, and Marci, bless her heart, is happy to see me step away from even the limited amount of riding I occasionally did.

I'll stay abreast of what's going on with the group and in touch with the friends I've made here, but my XT225 riding years are behind me at last. They've been good years, lots of fun, absolutely enjoyable. But I won't miss much in the way of getting out and about here on the mountain.

With the vehicles I have to explore in and the health and strength we continue to enjoy there's literally nothing out of bounds. Marci and I will hopefully savor life here in the high country with family and friends for a long time to come!

Geez, George, this hit me where it hurts.

Why? Because I've been considering doing the exact same thing lately. Put hardly any miles on the XT225 in the past two years. Just getting too clumsy in my old age, and I have to go out alone because there's no one I know who trail rides on two wheels any more. Recuperating from eye surgery right now. So it may be time to let someone else enjoy this bike...before I really hurt myself on it. Just hate to let it go - so many great rides, so many great memories.
20 323 Read More
Re: Looking for battery side side panel Willie H 08/01/22 12:04 AM
This link will get you 500 points if you sign up and buy anything, http://www.fromjapan.co.jp?afid=Y81842
6 173 Read More
Re: Looking for battery side side panel Willie H 08/01/22 12:00 AM
I tried and only found one company who could print something the size of the side panel, but the cost was over $200 for the right side. I ended up using https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/ and ordered a few used side panels...i think the cost was about 65 per panel after all costs. It wasn't super easy as most parts are on Yahoo Japan and it doesn't translate into english that well, but it was do-able and probably the cheapest option.
6 173 Read More
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. Muniac 07/28/22 05:01 PM
George - Glad you will continue to enjoy the site. Nothing wrong with keeping the welcome mat in place. When we did group rides, they'd end and we'd go for dinner and socialize. Such has been the case with all the activities I've been involved with. Without that "human" factor, life gets pretty sterile. This site has been around so long it's understandable people change out bikes and/or stop riding at some point. Some check in from time to time which is always nice. Just to tell us what they've been up to. My ride here on the admin bike will end at some point too. Things change as they always have and people move on. Live long, stay safe and prosper.

Last season Jeannie and I bumped into a couple hiking. We stopped to talk for a bit. Turns out he was a veteran so I thanked him for his service to our nation. His parting words when we resumed our hike were, "It's a tough time to be an American patriot." For some reason they stuck with me. I'm sure you understand.

peejman - We've had a wet Summer so far with mud slides yesterday which shut down roads. Soil soaks up the water then large slabs let loose and create muddy avalanches. People get trapped. Jeannie and I explored all the roads in the video link below when we stayed in Torrey, UT. Also had two flash floods that visit but we always watched the weather so no problems. People invite problems by not paying attention. Many don't know how water can flash flood canyons. Watch THIS for the details. It was interesting seeing the roads we traveled on flooded out. Nobody got killed or hurt which is a miracle.

Water moves around the planet in complex ways. As supplies get overtaxed in one place and run dry, that's a problem. The BIG engineering boo boo with the Colorado River, Lake Powell and Lake Mead was high snow pack levels in the Rocky Mountains when those projects were built. I don't think anyone thought about a declining cycle that could run out 100+ years before it turns around. That may take 1000 years as nobody knows. My neighbor is 93 and has lived here all her life. She said several decades ago our mountains would hold snow all year long. Draws would stay full, etc. That isn't the case now. The last of the north facing snow melts off about now. The three draws near us haven't filled in the last 5 years. Prior to that they were full but not like decades ago. People want to point fingers, blame fossil fuels and anything else they feel justifies climate change agendas. The real truth is we know very little about our climate. The other truth is it has been changing since the beginning of time. Have 7B+ people had an impact on the planet. Of course. There is no lack of green criminals underfoot that know to never waste a crisis. And round and round it goes.

The pacific SW has water concerns primarily because demand is exceeding supply. So how do we use our water in sustainable ways? As for Lake Powell and Lake Mead, they also generate electricity. Nuclear power is going to need to be considered. Smart people are currently working on micro reactor technology which is fascinating. Google it if you want to read more. As for water, the days of thirsty landscaping, lakes in the desert and aquatic cosmetics will need to change. Education, awareness and facts will hopefully guide people gracefully to managing our resources more intelligently. When lakes dry up and faucets run dry, do we starting drinking money?

There's tons of information about Lake Powell and Lake Mead which is very interesting to digest. Much on their history too. THIS is interesting about the Los Angeles aqueduct project with some amazing old photos of how men worked on that project.
20 323 Read More
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. peejman 07/28/22 01:50 PM
I find this water usage stuff interesting. From my line of thought water is the only non-renewable resource. There is a fixed (or continuously shrinking?) amount of water on the planet. Curiously, fire is the only naturally occurring process I can think of that generates water from other things. While Lake Mead may be dropping at an alarming rate, that water is going somewhere. So the question of “where does the water go?” is very interesting.

We talk about dripping faucets wasting water and loss to evaporation. A dripping faucet is wasted money, not wasted water. The dripping water goes down the drain to the treatment plant or septic field and back into the reservoir. Water that’s “lost” to evaporation isn’t really lost unless it floats off into space or is broken down by UV radiation. It may not come back to its original source, but it comes back somewhere.

Animals consume water, so the water weight of population growth is essentially an alternate method of storage. It’s no longer liquid water but tied up in something else. Is the practice of burying our dead in sealed boxes depriving the system of water? Google says 60 million people die and 83 million people are born annually. Using some swags… I get about 1 billion gallons of water annually removed from the system due simply to human deaths and births. I’m sure that’s wildly inaccurate, but something to think about.
20 323 Read More
Re: My last XT225 is For Sale.. Az4x4 07/27/22 10:07 PM

Thanks, Scott. I've truly enjoyed everything your site has offered over the years, and don't intend to bail on things just because my XT ownership days are behind me.

As for the mobs of people that make it up to the high country almost every spring and summer weekend, dragging their high dollar camping rigs and toy haulers behind them, we do our best to keep our distance from everything they bring with them, including pedal to the metal drivers and an astounding lack of courtesy and common sense. So far we've done OK. Hopefully that will continue.

Nathan, the fellow who bought my bike, made a 6 hour drive from New Mexico to get here, then drove 6 hours back home after a quick turn around. Had locals who claimed to be interested, but no one had the cash necessary so we held it for Nathan to get here, which as promised he did - cash in hand. I'll see if I can get him interested in the group. He'd be a good addition, lots of experience with Yamahas..

We had 4.5" of rain in a 7 hour period ending early morning yesterday, an awesome 'gully washer' of a downpour, something we need a lot more of but we're grateful for what we got. Supposed to be more rain on tap for the days just ahead. Fingers crossed..

The best to you and Jeannie always!..
20 323 Read More
Ride Spaces & Places Jump to new posts
Re: 4 Mile in Buena Vista CO onceona50 07/26/22 09:10 PM
Pretty scenery!
6 128 Read More
Bike Problems Jump to new posts
Re: Jetting rich/lean mixture question Muniac 07/26/22 04:58 PM
If you want to rock, keep it stock! Glad the bike is coming around. Also good to get your son involved with a solid hobby, knowledge and experience. Something he will likely enjoy during his life. Enjoy the bike and ride safely. That bike will get you in/out of many places. We found it an excellent access vehicle for exploring remote areas.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Tushar Mountains @ 11.2k and 100 MPH winds. 6/11/2009 in Marysvale, UT. One of many remote areas we explored.
The winds actually lifted the bike up and blew it over.
17 291 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Web & Site Search
Google

Custom TO Customer
Specialty Resource
Fab Ads
Boardcaster Updates

Board Upgrade: Board upgrade to V7.7.3 has been completed on Monday Feb 3rd 2020. Ride safely. Enjoy the new software!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(All Time)
Reggie 11,645
Muniac 6,422
alexd 5,915
Az4x4 4,971
Moto Psycho 4,684
peejman 4,019
kris 2,366
JerryH 2,115
Paul49 2,053
Doc250 1,643
Forum Statistics